General Assistance

Every town in Maine has a General Assistance program that helps people in need who have no other resources.  Assistance is provided for basic necessities, such as affordable housing, utilities, and food. Vinalhaven General Assistance is available to Vinalhaven residents within the parameters of the program.

How to Apply

All adults in the household must apply at the General Assistance office at 19 Washington School in Vinalhaven.  An administrator will interview you to complete an application.

Applicants Must Bring:

  • Identification documents (photo identification preferred)
  • Proof of any money available to the household during the last 30 days (this includes wages, TANF, child support, social security benefits, veteran’s benefits, etc.)
  • Proof of current expenses
  • Name of landlord
  • Current eviction or disconnection notice
  • Statement from doctor (if you are unable to work)
  • Proof of all current assets and/or benefits received

Other Requirements

Applicants are required to seek any and all resources that would reduce their need for General Assistance, such as:

  • Benefits such as SSD, SSDI
  • Veteran’s benefits
  • DHHS benefits (SNAP, MaineCare, TANF, and FedCap)
  • Heating assistance
  • Child Support
  • Money from others or bills paid by others on your behalf
  • Lump sum payments, such as Workers’ Compensation or SSI
  • Financial aid for school
  • Land claim settlements

It is a basic requirement of the program that everyone works or looks for work.

Based on the level of assistance we are able to provide, you may still look to seek additional resources.  You can contact Maine 2-1-1 or visit their website to see what additional resources may be available to your or your family.  Dial 2-1-1 from your phone or click here for more info. 

Click here for a blank application.

To make an appointment please contact Andrew Dorr at the contact number or email below. 


Andrew Dorr
Phone: 207-863-2042 | Fax: 207-863-4393