Rockland Parking Lot Undergoing Improvements
During September and October, the Rockland Ferry Terminal parking lot will be undergoing some improvements that will result in 12 additional parking spots, greater safety, improved traffic flow, and reduced ice buildup thanks to upgraded drainage. Though these improvements are necessary, the work will undoubtedly cause inconveniences for some island residents and others who routinely use this parking lot.
The Maine State Ferry Service is working hard to find ways to minimize these inconveniences including:
- Free, temporary parking at the Hannaford parking lot.
- Free shuttle service between the Hannaford parking lot and the Rockland terminal. This free shuttle service is offered through the Waldo County Action Partners' (WCAP) DASH busses. DASH normally offers hourly transportation to the terminal, but will extend their hours of operation and offer free trips to anyone boarding at the Hannaford or MSFS parking lots. Shuttle schedules will be posted at ferry service and bus terminals.
- Free, roundtrip walk-on MSFS tickets from the islands on specific dates (see schedule) so residents can relocate their cars.
Schedule and Important Dates
Like all construction projects, this work is subject to weather and other variables so this schedule may change.
- Saturday, September 15th and Sunday, September 16th:
Partial parking lot closure begins. Free, round-trip, walk-on MSFS passenger tickets for those North Haven and Vinalhaven residents needing to move their vehicle. Customers can obtain these MSFS tickets at the island terminals. Vehicles not moved by 6:30 pm, Sunday, September 16th will be towed.
- Saturday, September 15th - Tuesday, October 16th:
Free DASH bus service between the Hannaford parking lot and the Rockland terminal. Regular DASH hours will be extended to provide early morning and “last boat” shuttle service during weekdays. On weekends, there will be a dedicated loop between Hannaford and the MSFS terminal.
- Monday, September 17th - Monday, October 8th (Columbus Day):
Partial closure of parking lot with approximately 70 unavailable parking spaces.
- Sunday, October 7th - Monday, October 8th at 6:30 pm:
Free round-trip, walk-on passenger tickets for those North Haven and Vinalhaven residents needing to move their vehicle from the parking lot. Customers can obtain these tickets at island terminals. Vehicles not moved by 6:30 pm Monday, October 8th will be towed.
- Monday, October 8th at 6:30 pm - approximately Tuesday, October 16th:
Full closure of parking lot.
- October 17th - October 30th :
Finish work that does not disrupt parking.
For more information, please visit the MSFS website at https://www1.maine.gov/mdot/ferry/rockland/parking/improvements/