The Town of Vinalhaven is seeking applications for a newly created position, Harbor Master/Animal Control/Constable. This position is dependent upon approval at the Annual Town Meeting scheduled for Tuesday June 20, 2018 at 7:00 pm at the Vinalhaven School. Interested candidates should send a copy of their resume and any relevant certifications he/she may have to Andrew Dorr at firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to PO Box 815, Vinalhaven, Maine 04863.
Vinalhaven Local Ordinance Enforcement Officer
Constable/Animal Control Officer/Harbor Master
Nature of Work:
This is general law enforcement activity enforcing municipal ordinances, including work as Animal Control Officer responsible for the regulation and control of dogs and other animals. Employee of this class is responsible for a variety of law enforcement activities in the Town of Vinalhaven. Work includes the enforcement of local ordinances not assigned to the Code Enforcement Officer, the investigation of alleged violations, the provision of regular security checks, and the coordination of activity with local law enforcement agencies. Work also includes the enforcement of all animal welfare laws. Work involves contact with the general public in a variety of circumstances, and is performed under the general direction of the Town Manager. Work is carried out in accordance with established rules and procedures, and is subject to review through reports and observation of methods used and results achieved.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Examples of Work (Illustrative Only)
- Investigates complaints concerning the regulation, licensing and control of dogs and other animals.
- Determines if any State laws or municipal ordinances have been violated and takes appropriate action such as catching, confining or quarantining dogs or other animals.
- Responds to complaints about loose or stray animals, and attempts to collect them.
- Responds to complaints about harbor management, and attempts to correct them.
- Issues warnings, or citations, to animal owners and appears as a witness in District Court as necessary.
- Delivers captured animals to the Animal Hospital.
- Maintains all necessary reports and records on incidents involving stray or wild animals.
- Conducts public education sessions as may be required.
- Performs related work as may be required.
Requirements of Work:
- Knowledge of the principles, practices and equipment used in animal handling.
- Knowledge of the geography of the Town.
- Knowledge of the applicable State laws and Town ordinances.
- Knowledge of the local and state harbor management regulations.
- Ability to safely and properly handle a boat.
- Ability to acquire working knowledge of applicable court procedures.
- Ability to prepare and maintain records and reports.
- Ability to deal courteously, but firmly, with the general public.
- Ability to communicate well, both orally and in writing.
- Must possess physical strength and agility sufficient for performing job duties.
- Training and Experience Required:
- Graduation from an accredited high school or equivalent; considerable experience in handling animals.
- Completion of Maine Animal Control Officer Training within six months of hire.
- Completion of the Maine Criminal Justice Academy 100-hour program
- Employee is required to have a valid state of Maine driver’s license and shall be insurable under the Town's vehicle insurance coverage.
List of Ordinances
- Harbor Ordinance
- Public Conduct Ordinance
- Parking Ordinance
- Barking Dog
- Fireworks Ordinance
- Food and Merchandise Sales in Downtown Parking Lot
- Quarry Preservation